Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Movie Review: King Kong
Easily five stars

Words cannot fully describe the beauty of Peter Jackson's creations. His latest King Kong is by far the best. Powerful and moving, this is the film that movies want to be when they grow up. This is truly the reason cinema exists.
It takes a lot for me to want to pay full price for a movie. With the average cost hovering around ten dollars and matinees above five; there isn't much out there to justify spending your hard earned cash on. This is not the case with King Kong. It is definitely worth every penny.
With Oscar season around the corner, it would be a disgrace to the entire film industry if it doesn't win "Best Picture". Jackson's last film Lord of the Rings: Return of the King,, swept up the trophies and this picture deserves to do so as well. This is a sentiment that I am sure that I am not alone on.
I honestly have to say that this film will cast a large shadow upon Hollywood. The bar has now been set and it won't be surpassed easily. Even Speilberg's Jurassic Park looks like a student film next to this one. It will take some time for another film to come close to this one, and it will probably be made by Peter Jackson.

Footnote: As I was leaving the theater, I overheard a teenage girl say that "it was the dumbest movie I've ever seen". Maturity is not prevalent witht that age group, so I won't hold it against her.

No comments: