Wednesday, July 18, 2007

There is nothing on this earth more to be prized than true friendship.
-Saint Thomas Aquinas

Friendship is a single soul dwelling in two bodies.
-Aristotle

The most I can do for my friend is simply be his friend.
-Henry David Thoreau


I've decided that today's topic will be friendship. I have been throughly blessed to have my friends. I can immediately think of quite a few people who would instantly go to bat for me; people who have my back, even if it's pushed into a corner.

I heard a saying once that really struck me and I will try to repeat it as best as my memory will allow it. It goes: The true measure of a man is not his wealth of money, but his wealth of friends. I had a similar statement that I had made to a friend lately: "
Life is way too short to hold grudges and the more people who cry at your funeral, the better you've lived."

Life changes everything, but if you can keep as many of your original friends, you've kept your greatest treasures. I guess you can equate it like this: Friendship is like wine; aging it only makes it better. There are some friends that I have that have lasted fifteen years or longer. That means that when we became friends and a child was born, that child is now in high school and probably driving. It's not until you stop and put it into perspective that it really blows your mind like that.

I have some friends right now who can practically read my mind. All I have to do is either show up or say "hi" and they know exactly what's going on. They know what emotions I'm experiencing and why I am experiencing them. I swear, I wouldn't be surprised if some of my friends know me better than I know them. I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

But that's the beauty of it all. The fact that we're so close and we've gone through so much together, it makes the friendship that much stronger and more meaningful. I know that when I ask them about something, I am going to get their honest opinion. I know for a fact that they are looking out for me and honestly have my best intentions at heart. I'm not sure where I would be if it weren't for my friends.

Anyway, I'm getting off my soapbox now. In closing, I hope that you will listen to the song "Friends are Friends Forever" by Michael W. Smith. I found that it nails what a close friendship is all about. Take care of yourself out there and I will post again soon.

No comments: